What is Microneedling?
How does it work?
By creating microscopic punctures in the skin, microneedling creates thousands of tiny injuries and small channels. This triggers a healing response that releases a cascade of growth factors, which in turn boosts production of the body’s own collagen (the protein fibers that keep skin smooth and supple) and elastin.
WHAT CONDITIONS DOES MICRONEEDLING TREAT?
Microneedling treats , fine lines & wrinkles, acne scarring, enlarged pores, stretch marks, as well as help improve tone & texture. It can be used on the face, neck, décolleté’, arms, hands, legs, abdomen, and neck—the areas that often reveal the most tell-tale signs of aging and sun damage.
What is microneedling covered under by my private insurance?
Facial Microneedling is provided by Dr. Allison Maloney, Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Registered Acupuncturist and Naturopath, Micropen and Microneedling Certified Acupuncturist.
It is covered by private insurance under Acupuncture and/or Naturopathy (most insurances cover 80% of the cost), we can also direct-bill.
What to expect from Microneedling?
The treatment takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
Dr. Allison Maloney will begin by applying a high quality numbing cream on the face or local area, followed by a 30 minute LED Light Therapy treatment to activate your collagen.
A medical grade Hyaluronic Acid Serum is applied on the skin to be absorbed in the deeper layers using the microneedling device.
Our specific Microneedling device, the Eclipse Evo Pen, Health Canada approved, provides a smooth and gentle glide thanks to its 7000RPM.
All our treatments, use sterile disposable single-use needles.
The device delivers thousands of micro-injuries, you will feel a light prickling sensation across the skin. While some areas may be more sensitive than others, the speed of the reciprocating tip helps make the treatment more comfortable.
Immediately afterwards, you will notice redness to the skin similar to the sensation of a mild sunburn lasting a few hours, in some cases up to 24hours.
How long does the result last? How many treatments are needed? How often?
Patients can notice an immediate glow to their skin while more visible changes develop over the course of several weeks. Results can continue to improve up to 6 months after the treatment. For best results, a series of 4 treatments should be done at 4 week intervals.
For patients with more significant skin care concerns such as acne scarring, it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions at 6 week intervals.
How to Care For Your Skin Before and After a Microneedling Treatment?
Microneedling Pre-Treatment Instructions
Following the right pre-treatment instructions ensures that your treatment will go smoothly and helps minimize side effects.
- Avoid Accutane in the six months prior to beginning your treatment sessions.
- Local areas that received Botox in the last 3-6 months will be avoided during treatment.
- Do not use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoids, exfoliants, topical antibiotics or acids 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for at least 3 days prior to your microneedling session. These will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for at least 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
- No waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to the area being treated for 5-7 days prior.
- Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there’s dense hair present in the treatment area, shave the day before you arrive for your appointment.
- If you’re prone to cold sores, take an antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment.
- Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior because bruising is a common side effect of microneedling.
Day of Treatment
Knowing what to expect on the day of your microneedling treatment will make this procedure as comfortable and anxiety-free as possible for you.
What To Expect At Your Appointment
- Your skin will be cleaned so it’s free of lotion, oil, makeup, powder, or sunscreen. If you wish, you can wash your face in the office upon arrival.
- You will be asked to inform your skin care specialist about any relevant changes in your medical history and of all the medications you’re taking.
- Your specialist will ask iif there are any cosmetic tattoos in the treatment areas.
- 30-45 minutes prior to your treatment, topical lidocaine will be applied to your skin.
- The microneedling treatment is an in-office procedure that typically takes up to 60 minutes to complete.
As with any cosmetic skin treatment, it’s important to look after your skin following a microneedling procedure for best results.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications for one week after the procedure.
- Do not use ice on your face, and avoid using arnica/bromelain. These may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that’s critical for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for at least 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always use sunblock (30 SPF or higher) and wear a hat if you’re outside.
- You can use a painkiller, such as Tylenol, if you experience any soreness.
What is LED Light Therapy and How can it help my skin?
LED Light therapy is a medical grade treatment that improves skin conditions such as acne, acne scars, pigmentation, dull skin and sensitive skin and boost skin rejuvenation.
How does it work?
The process is similar to Photo-synthesis in plants. While plants can safely absorb light from the sun, the sun emits harmful UV rays that can be damaging to our skin. LED Light Therapy contains no UV rays and the light emitted is proven to be beneficial in cellular activity and repair. Thanks to this ground-breaking technology, now there is a new way to reverse the signs of aging and damage to ensure your inner brilliance shines through!
Different wavelengths of light have very specific effects on the skin, including anti-aging effects, wrinkle removal, scar treatment, acne treatment and more.
Red LED Light Therapy:
- Red LED light therapy stimulates the fibroblasts that produce collagen, which gives young skin its plump look.
- Treatment can also minimize fine lines and wrinkles, treat sun-damage and stretch marks, and reduce redness after more aggressive IPL or laser treatments.
Blue LED Light Therapy:
- Blue LED light therapy is quickly absorbed by acne-causing bacteria. Molecules within the bacteria then react by producing singlet oxygen free radicals that in-turn destroy the P. Acnes bacteria.
- Blue LED light has been proven to have powerful anti-bacterial properties and also helps to purify the skin, stabilize oil glands, and soothe inflammation.
Green LED Light Therapy:
- Green light is absorbed into the skin where it has a calming effect. It helps to lighten hyper-pigmentation spots, revealing a brighter complexion. The calming effect also has anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the surface of the skin.
- Green LED therapy is used to treat dilated capillaries, sagging skin around the eyes, circles under the eyes, hyperpigmentation and sun spots. It also helps to promote optimal moisture balance of the skin, and reduces excessive oiliness.
Yellow LED Light Therapy:
- Yellow light reduces the appearance of redness, swelling, and inflammation. This colour of light is beneficial for Rosacea and treating burns such as sunburns.
- Also stimulates the production of red blood cells in the skin and is effective in treating abnormal pigmentation (hypo- and hyper-), improving lymphatic function, and stimulating circulation.
What Can It Do For You?
LED Light Therapy can dramatically revitalize your skin without any downtime or discomfort. It provides noticeable results, often in only a couple of treatments, without the high cost and downtime of other more expensive treatment options.
What is Facial Acupuncture?
Dr. Allison Maloney will begin the treatment by inserting Acupuncture needles to help improve muscle tone, tighten facial muscles, and increase collagen production!
After you’re totally relaxed from your Acu-Nap, we use Canadian made Om Organics all-natural skin care products, to assist cleansing & hydrating the face. Facial Massage along with a Rose Quartz Facial Roller / Gua Sha will be glided over your skin in combination with the serums and moisturizers!
You leave with the most stunning glow and feeling blissfully zen!
Our Acupuncturists and Chinese Medicine Practitioners
Dr. Allison Maloney
Registered Acupuncturist, Herbalist, Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Yoga Instructor